Friday, September 10, 2010

Why Blog?

My name is Rachelle Pierce and I am a senior at BYU majoring in Dance Education. I grew up in Northern California (Tracy, CA for those of you who may know the area around Sacramento) but currently my family lives in Castle Rock, CO (just 30 miles south of Denver). I love the outdoors, music, art museums, movies, reading, creating, and dancing! I believe the arts are vital to every child's education and I think blogs can help the arts become more accessible in the classrooms. Students can find images of famous works of art online or images of well-known artists (painters, sculptures, musicians, playwrights, and choreographers) and then post comments about what they have learned about those artists. Blogs are also a great way to stay connected to the parents of your students. You can post weekly newsletters to keep the parents informed and involved. As a dance educator I can also post important upcoming events such as performances, workshops with master teachers, and various dance and art opportunities.

3 comments:

  1. Rachelle! I love your ideas about using blogs to help students "kinnect" to the history of dance and other arts. When I think about teaching I always forget about connecting dance to history and past choreographers that will help the students better understand the technique behind movement. I also didn't think about using it to connect to parents. I was thinking (too narrow minded) only about students. :) I also love the title of your blog. It's a soft spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle - you have some great ideas. I think using a blog to keep parents informed and involved is a great idea no matter what subject we are teaching. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have some great ideas to help students learn from each other while learning about art. Blogs would help make the arts more accessible for the students! Thank you for your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete